First month of the Islamic Calendar.
Meaning: The word "Muharram" means "Forbidden." Even before Islam, this month was always known as a scared month in which all unlawful acts were forbidden, prominently the shedding of blood.
Blessing: There are many bounties of this month, especially on 10th of Muharram.
10th of Muharram: On this day he who spends more lavishly for the sake of his family members, Allah Ta'aalaa will bestow blessing upon the sustenance of the following year.
Abu Qataada (R.A.) has related that the Prophet has reported to have said, It is my thought that by fasting on the 10th of Muharram Allah Ta'aalaa will pardon the sins of the past year. (Tirmizi)
Prior To Islam
1. Prophet Adam (pbuh) was born and entered the Paradise on 10th of Muharram.
2. Prophet Ayyub (pbuh) was cured from his illness.
3. A way was made in the sea for Bani Israel.
4. Prophet Suleman (pbuh) was ordained King.
5. The oceans and heavens were created. (Tanbihul-Gaafileen)
1. Hadhrat Hussain (R.A.) was martyred in this month.
2. Shaykhain Tirmizi & Haakim has narrated from Anas (R.A) that the following verse:
"Allah may forgive thee of thy sins that which is past and that which is to come . . ."
(Qur'an Al-Fath 48:2)
was revealed on the 10th of Muharram.
3. The Prophet Muhammed went to defeat Bani Muhaarin and Bani Tha'laba (Tribes of Bani Gatfan) in the year 4 A.H. (Asahhus-siyar)
4. Qiyaamah will take place on the 10th of Muharram.